Two years ago I read a book about mother and daughters and their relationships. It really opened my eyes to why daughter/ mothers act and respond to one another the way we do. The book is called " You're Wearing That?: Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation"
After reading it, I got along with my mother for maybe two weeks before our relationship turned sour again. I lent the book to my former manager, and she lost it. She finally purchased another book for me (over a year later!)and gave it to me yesterday- just in time!
I started reading it again. If not for the relationship I have with my mother, then for the relationship I will have with my daughters. It really makes you understand why mothers say certain things and why daughters react the way they do. I really encourage every woman to buy it.
Moving on.. yesterday my boss was out of the office so I left work a bit early. It was a beautiful day here in New York, so we decided to take the baby carriers out of their boxes and walk with the girls. So much easier with carriers! My husband took Soleil and I took Neve. We were going to walk one or two blocks, but ended up walking all the way to my parents house. The girls were so captivated, staring at the trees and the people in an upright position. Soleil kept sticking her tongue out- its a new thing she does.
My husband and I were discussing last night that we each seemed to be more attached to a certain twin. I hate talking about it at all, because in no way do I want anyone to think that I love one of my daughters more than the other- because I don't. I just seem to gravitate towards Neve. I don't know if it is because she was the smaller baby (which many books on twins say happens when one twin is smaller), or because her temperament is easier. I just feel like Soleil is very high maintenance/ drama mama and nothing that I do or say calms her. But when her daddy picks her up, she instantly quiets down. When he comes home she smiles at him and flails her arms and legs- something she doesnt do with me. Neve does though.
So we each decided that we need to spend more time with the other twin. I feel guilty just writing it.
BTW- I managed to raise $500.00 from all my wonderful co-workers, and WONDERFUL/ AMAZING blog readers! You guys are so awesome. I have never felt more passionate about a cause before in my life. I feel a sense of accomplishment knowing that because I shyly sent out an email another $500 is added to the MOD research. I know that it is just a drop in a bucket, but it's something. I am thankful for my daughters, the loves of my lives. I am thankful for the MOD because if it weren't for the organization- who knows what would have been with my little girls.
If you haven't yet contributed and would like to help the March of Dimes (me trying not to solicit but failing horribly) please click on the link to the right!
Do it for them:

Thursday, April 24, 2008
Posted by Gemini Girl at 10:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
In some ways you do this unintentionally through out life.
I don't think it means you like one more. It just means that you relate better to one at that time.
Maybe it's our way of bonding with the individual child.
It goes away as they get older, but there are still days that I find myself saying. OMG I LOVE SO AND SO. The next day it's the next kid and the next it's the next kid.
(soon I will have to add, next and finally the last kid :)
Hey, did you get my donation? I went through all the steps, but after I put in CC info and submitted it, I got an error. So I wasn't sure if it worked or not! Let me know, if it didn't, I will try again.
The weather has been beautiful ... wonderful time to walk around outside.
Don't feel guilt about feeling the way you do. It doesn't mean you love one more than the other. At the beginning when the twins were born, I totally gravitated towards Jake. It just seemed like all my family was so into the "girl" that Hailey got tons of attention. And I felt bad for Jake, so I think I showed partiality to him. It all worked itself out. As it will with you!
I need to get that book! The girls are getting cuter and cuter-- btw, I just bought that pink onesie for Maya! :)
Post a Comment