The landlord called me back yesterday and the apt is now ours. He wont change the bathroom. That made me mad as hell. The bathroom is the only thing that is deterring me from being truly happy with the apt.
I was playing tug of war with myself last night.. to take the apt/ to not take the apt. My husband is worried about the finances, but I did the math and we can afford it... but we will be living tightly. And I also know that if we don't do this now, we wont be moving in a very long time ( and I would prefer to have an extra room for the kids before their arrival).
While my husband slept on the couch I came to a realization... I can no longer be selfish. It's not about me and what I want, or what is ideal for me. It's about the kids. I want them to have a room, for them. I want them to play, and build forts, and have their own little space. Although they wont each have a room for a few years, at least they could have their own little corner in the world that is just theirs.
So yes, I will suck it up, deal with the smaller ugly tiled bathroom- for them. At the end of the day, they are all that matters.

8 comments:
I'm glad that you got the apartment.
I'm sure that you can decorate the bathroom to hide the ugliness of it all :)
To answer your question. I had 1 bassinet. I didn't use it :) I had PLANNED to of course.
They slept in their inclined to sleep pads between us for the first few months. The inclined to sleep keeps them seperate from us, and also keeps them from rolling.
1 bassinet will work for a while.
I don't know how much room you will have....but you may want to check out the co-sleepers too. A breastfeeders DREAM.
Now will the co-sleepers fit both? Will I be able to figure out the mechanics of it?
I would think when they are tiny it would. If you use it when they get to be 10 months maybe not :) I would probably lay them so their feet were towards you...and put a rolled blanket between the two of them. Or buy 2 of the inclined to sleeps and put them in that on the co-sleeper.
My aunt had twins, both are now grown and also mothers.
My aunt was telling me that when they were babies, she only had 1 crib. She took a baby bumper and split the crib with one. Sewing it to the other bumper (like a divider). She said they slept like this (one at one end of the bed and the other at the other end) for a long time. She said as they got bigger she would wake up and they would have crawled over the bumper pad and they would be sleeping cuddled up together.
SO CUTE !
Lots of options.
Slap a new coat of paint on it and buy some outrageous shower curtains... that might help brighten things up a bit. Orrrr... just strive to actually HAVE the ugliest Bathroom in the US, no biggie, and who knows you might get a prize!
I think it's a very smart decision to go for the 2 bedroom. We already have a 2 bedroom and my parents and in-laws are pressuring us to buy a house (which I won't even consider until we have the babies) because they said there's not way we'll fit twins in our apartment!
Hey, put up a pic of the awful bathroom. Maybe some of us could lend you a hand with ideas...
Love the color you chose for the room - that will be great!
As to the bassinets... Graco makes a double bassinet pack-n-play. It can sleep 2 babies at once - made to do the job - and it becomes a playpen later when they are bigger, so no wasted money!
Also, I've known several people that had their twins share 1 crib for the 1st 6 months or so... They really don't move too much, so it isn't an issue. You could just setup 1 crib in your room and have them share (no bassinet needed).
Glad to know all is well!!!
Try hard and you'll come up w/ a solution for the ugly bathroom. If it would make you feel any better, I'll post a picture of my butt ugly bathroom.
You will not regret getting the bigger apartment. We were living in a 2 bedroom townhouse with lots of little mini levels (which means lots of stairs for baby to fall down), and I knew we needed a normal house. I also knew I was probably going to be quitting my job and that buying a bigger house would mean more money. Ugg..but we bit the bullet and did it and it was the best decision. We do what we know is best for the kids, which is what you're doing. You'll be so happy once you realize how much crap you're going to be storing (times two!).
You've got to post a picture of this bathroom! I bet someone among the blogging community will be able to help "fix" the ugliness! (I am good at home improvement, so I can't wait to see what advice I might be able to offer!)
You won't regret moving into a larger apartment. You will need the room for the babies, and you and your dh will need some personal space of your own every now and then. :-)
All of the financial stuff will fall into line...it usually does.
Congrats on the new place!
Post a Comment