Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, May 19, 2008

This weekend was nice.. but too long. Sometimes I cant wait to go to work to be away from screaming, teething babies.



Saturday was a beautiful day in NYC. We stopped by my parents house for breakfast, then went to the village with my father. It's funny, since I was pregnant, my father has always said he would take the girls to the village (as he used to do with me when I was a child). So we packed the girls up in their new stroller and went.



OK. I read in many twin books about how you become a celebrity handler when you have twins. The attention you get from people is insane (esp when you dress the girls in adorable outfits with bows on their heads). Everyone comments, smiles, speaks to you. I'm a friendly person- but I dislike all the attention. When I tell my husband this, he says "well, you shouldn't have had twins then". Ha.



I don't know, it just makes me uncomfortable. I know that I should be proud of it, but I guess in a deep down way- I am worried that all the attention will somehow take my girls away form me (since I couldn't get pregnant in the first place). Does that make sense? Like you don't want to draw attention to a new job in fear of losing it? I don't know.



The question that makes me want to slap people with a silly stick (I wonder if they sell those) is : "Are they twins"?



Umm.. no. One is actually 15 years old who is a bit small for her age. Are you kidding me!? I usually just nod my head. One woman at Se.ph.ora asked me if they were twins. After I said yes, she said "Well I can tell"! WOW- Do you want a prize?



Anyway, we had a nice lunch with my father. Of course- all I had was a salad, as I am still sticking with my SB diet. I have def lost some weight, but it's only a drop in the bucket when you have 25 more to lose. Of course, I know I wont lose a ton more b4 my flight, but as much as I can will help. My father ordered a red Velvet cake (which I only took one bite from) and it was amazing. I want to be one of those people who take pictures of food... but when I do, I look like such a poser. Anyway- here are some pics of the day:







My father, me and the girls:
Can you see Neve's spit bubbles? Daddy and The girls:

Grandpa saying something to make Neve laugh at the restaurant:
Finally She sleeps:
Red Velvet cake.. yumm...
The girls tend to do the same things at the same time:

So when we got home I received a gift in the mail from my Blogging BFF Heather. If you haven't yet read her blog- go check it out now (OK not right now- finish my post!)- she is funny.

She sent the girls these adorable onesies:

If you cant read what the onesies say: Do we look identical?



I totally LOVED the gift. Thanks H!

Moving on.. a few good things happened this week to my blogging friends:

TOPCAT: Had her baby today! She had a boy (as I predicted) and mommy and baby are doing well. Of course, her husband's health is still a question- so please go over to her site and send you love and support. She is an amazing woman with an amazing life story.

Stacie: Her son Shawn finally seems to be doing well after his last surgery. He is smiling and all. Please send your prayers and love to him as well- as they above all- need to get a break from it all. (Stace- not sure if you still read my blog.. but you are always in my thoughts)

K: I have called her Joan & Kate plus 8... (since she and her partner have a 4 yr old girl, twin boys who are 2, and twin boys on the way!). But all jokes aside- Discovery health will be filming their lives for a one hour show to be aired at the end of the year! I guess the world will want to see how she does it- just like I am always curious. Finally I will be able to meet her "face-to face"- of course she better not forget the little people (plug my blog!). She is currently holding auditions for the part of her "friends" :)

Anyway- started packing for my trip... oy.


7 comments:

PamalaLauren said...

Well it doesn't get any better as they get older. Soon the questions go from asking you to asking them. My sister and I are constantly together and are constantly asked if we're twins. I mean sometimes you feel like answering "No we just look exactly alike because of great genetics." I mean come on! Then of course they have to ask if we're identical, which technically we don't know, we could be mirror twins, like the Oslen twins are which means we're not identical, but we could be identical as well, but only a DNA test can tell us that.
What's worse is being called by the wrong name. I can tell my hair is starting to look like my sisters again (I usually dye it brown, her's is blonde) because my step-brothers are calling her by my name and I'm being called by her name. LOL!! My grandparents call us by both names "Patti-Pam" because they've never figured how to tell us apart and we're 25 years old!
But you know what, it's fun. LOL!!I mean how many twins do you really know. I know six sets but none live in the area now, so we're unique!

Heather said...

YAY! I'm glad the onesies arrived before your trip. The girls are so freaking cute I just want to squeeze them every time I see a picture!

I hope you will still update while you're gone. I don't know what I'll do if you don't! I might actually have to work!

Stacie said...

Of course I read your blog, Maya! I just haven't been posting, but I do read you every day. I have to keep up with what you and the girls are doing!

Thank you for the kind words and prayers. Here is hoping that Shawn is on his way to a speedy recovery and we wont need to go back to the hospital ever again!

Much love,
Stacie

Rachel Inbar said...

As both a mom of twins and someone who's studied communication, I think that the question "Are they twins" is just a way to establish communication. I mean, they already know, but since they don't know what else to say, it seems like a good option.

I've actually found myself saying the same. At this point, it's kind of nice if someone asks me if they're twins, since mine are turning 12 next month and don't really look alike (and are b/g).

Chastity said...

I'm anxious to hear the kinds of comments I'll get if I'm ever brave enough to leave the house with Lila and the two new babies.

I love their little onesies :). They don't look identical to me, but they look like sisters for sure.

K J and the kids said...

You are so damn funny !
I agree with the questions. There are days when it doesn't matter but most of the time you are BARELY surviving the trip out and to be stopped and talked to can be hard.
I used to say...nope, he's 2 weeks older.

I just can't believe how DARLING those girls are ! SO CUTE !

Ky said...

I get asked the "are they twins" all the time - because my kids are only 6 months apart in age. I usually lie and say yes - because I just don't really care about telling the story to complete strangers. When I say "yes" though the typical response was "oh I thought so! or I could tell!" and my response in my head is "oh you totally got it - IDIOT". Now you know that I'm not very nice. LOL. The few times I have told the truth and said, "no they are 6 months apart" I get really strange looks - cause I can see them doing the math in their heads and it's just not adding up.