Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thoughts


I had an informative conversation with a fellow employee at the convention yesterday.


Since I am an executive assistant, I am in constant communication with other assistants. There was one assistant who I always talk to over the phone but since she lives in Atlanta, I had never met her.


I knew she was going to be at the show and when I saw someone who I thought was her- I walked up to her. It turns out it was her. We got to talking and we spoke about her 3 month old (which we often discuss on the phone). A few minutes later I revealed that I was pg with twins- and she gave me a hug. I told her that I had just told my boss the day before and that I was worried about it affecting my job.


She told me her story- which was sort of similar to mine:


She had been an assistant to a power executive for 4 years ( in our company). She had found out that she was pg the same week that her boss announced that he was leaving the company.

She let her boss know about her pregnancy and he felt horrible. He wanted to take her along with him to the new company, but it would be months before his start date. He advised her to stay behind because she needed the medical insurance that our company provides, and set her up with a new manager. She was 3 months along when she informed her new manager about her pregnancy. She said that she apologized to him ( like i did) and he said not to, but that he was shocked. He had to deal. Plus he's a man- most men aren't as sympathetic I believe (like women)


So I guess that's why my boss said it happens more often than we think :)


She said not to worry and that my job would be protected. Nice to hear and know that I am not the only one that this happened to!
OBGYN:
This evening I have my first OBGYN appointment. This is very nerve-wrecking! My husband will meet me at the Doctor's office at 5:30pm and we will go in together.
I am trying to get all my questions together for the doctor. I really am happy with him as my OBGYN. I have been through 2 OBGYN's prior to him. He was my first male gyno, which I thought would be weird, but wasn't. Turns out his father (also an OBGYN) delivered my older brother years ago. My new Dr. was the one who suggested my IVF doctor and when I see him today I just want to go up to him and give him a huge hug for the recommendation.
The one thing that I am unhappy about is the bad sewing job someone on his medical team did on my belly button in October. Before my venture into IVF, my OBGYN was trying to figure out why I wasn't getting pregnant. My hormone levels, my husband's sperm- everything seemed A OK.
He said that the scar tissue from my previous surgeries was probably the culprit and was causing the if. The only way to know for sure was to open me up and have a laparoscopy. Mind you this was my third time having this kind of procedure.
After the surgery, during the healing process, I realized that something was amiss in my belly button. It hurt very badly.
In a laparoscopy they make 3 incisions- one on each side of your uterus, and one in your belly button ( where they stick the camera and flashlight in).
I have had this done before and it never hurt this way. When I started to heal, I realized that whoever had sewn me up did a HORRIBLE job. I know because again, Ive healed from this procedure twice before.
My belly button looks like theres a piece of meat sewn together and stuck in the hole ( cant really describe it) and did I mention it still hurts if I touch it?
I went to my doctor a week later to look at it but he wasn't in. Another doctor on call looked at it and said that once its healed it should be OK. IT'S NOT. It's been 8 months now and it's not getting better.
My IVF doctor said that its a really bad job, and that only a plastic surgeon can repair it- that it could probably be done at an office. I am just worried that as my tummy gets larger, this ball of sewn together meat will pop out and open. I cannot wait to show it to my doctor today and hear his reaction.
That's it- my vent is now over.
Any suggestions what to ask my doctor on my first visit?
**ps I am afraid of the scale today- I hear this doctor is a Nazi when it comes to pregnancy weight gain**



6 comments:

Chastity said...

Oh dear...poor thing, I hope they can repair your naval and get it all healed up before you start protruding...just the image of the "little ball of meat" makes me cringe.

Kirsten said...

I hope your appointment went well...at my first OB appointment, she told me that the "ideal" weight gain for twins was 35 pounds...HA!!!! I've been okay with the scale but now they let me weigh myself so I have to admit I've fudged the number by a pound or two...but just once or twice!!!
After 3 laps, I've got quite a scary belly button myself. It wasn't so bad until now that it's starting to pop and I can see what was going on in there. Ick. It's a lovely shade of purple though.
I will have to write you all about my John Edwards experience...it was awesome. He didn't talk directly to us because, unfortunately, it took us until the end of his session to realize that he was trying to get to us. He kept asking the people in front of us questions that we kept relating to and they didn't, but I didn't have the nerve to stand up. I am pretty sure his messages were meant for us though so I've wanted to see him again.

Nearlydawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nearlydawn said...

Oh my - the belly button "meat" is a little bit of a gross image. Eeew! I sure hope your Doc can fix it for you before it becomes an issue.

So sorry... Ugh! If it isn't one thing it's another.

BTW - I mentioned you in my blog... I think I got you confused with another blogger though. Oops! Were you the person that wrote "welcome home babies" on their stomach? Now that I don't see the pic on your blog I'm not sure!!! Either way, I'm looking forward to doing that tomorrow. Ces't La Vie!

Nearlydawn said...

Oh ooops - I found the picture... It was at "Heeeeere Storkey, Storkey!". Doh! Oh well, that is the way it goes sometimes. Meh!

K J and the kids said...

First of all....my belly button kind of hurt towards the end. I would get it taken care of if it's going to cause you pain. Now better than later.
Also....if your doctor is a nazi when it comes to the scale....either find a new doctor (I am VERY serious about this) or disregard what he says about weight gain. Go with the weight gain in the book. (it's better than scriptures :) ha ha
Good luck !