Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, July 6, 2007

Vent


OK, I need to vent.


As you all know I live in New York City. As I was waiting for the subway to arrive I stood next to two individuals. As the train approached, and there were two empty seats, the two individuals proceeded to dart past me to get to the seats. I was in shock! I looked at them and said "So not one of you will let me sit down?"


They both ignored me- like I wasn't even there! It was a man and a woman. The man looked at me, and tilted his baseball cap down to his face so that I would walk away- like he didn't care. I wanted to kick him in his face!


Others around the surrounding area must have heard- but not one person got up for me! Not one! Is this normal? I have noticed that 8 times out of 10 no one cares. Its just not human. I always gave my seat up for the pregnant and elderly. Even now if an elderly or disabled person gets on the train or bus, I give my seat up- because no one else will!


I really don't get people's selfishness sometimes. I really don't. Thanks for listening.

:)

5 comments:

K J and the kids said...

It's when I'm pushing two babies with a toddler balancing on the handlebars and people make ME move that pisses me off.
Sorry !

Chastity said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Fortunately for me, I had wonderful experiences when pregnant of people going out of their way to help me....but I don't live in NYC. You know what's funny, they did a competition Big Brother last night where the houseguests had to answer questions in private and then guess how many people answered the questions a certain way. All but one said they would give up their seat on a bus for a pregnant lady. ...and the one person who said she wouldn't...the mother of 3!!! I couldn't believe it.

Malky B. said...

sorry your having such a hard time getting a seat. I guess times have changed since 9 years ago when I took the trains while I was pregnant. Sad to hear this.

Jo said...

People are just so rude theses days.. won't look you in the eye, don't hold doors or say excuse me...
I will say that DC metro peeps (during ballgames etc., as I never road during rush hour) always offered me a seat and many tomes offered up so DH could sit with me.

Kirsten said...

That is ridiculous. The other day we went out to eat and the waitress kept making comments about how hungry my babies must be...two hours later, we still had no food on the table (well, we got one appetizer) so we ended up leaving at 10 with no dinner...I was livid!!!
Also wanted to comment on your previous day care post and say I am with you...I have never envisioned myself as a stay-at-home mom and it is 100% right now my plan to return to work. I have an awesome job that has excellent benefits, including flex time, and I've been there for nearly 7 years and am working my way up. I cannot wait to be a mom but part of me also needs that side of things, too. I need to get up and get dressed each day and go to my office and have interaction with other adults. I do accept that my heart and mind might completely change once my babies are here but for now, I'm going to be a working mom. We found a daycare near our home and it's going to run us about $1,100 a month for both girls, which is the cheapest around. It's going to be tough but we'll make it work. I hope you guys are able to get it worked out!