So as I mentioned before- one of my memory cards is still in Israel, and therefore I cant post some pictures.
DAY 1:
Where to start? OK- Our plane ride to Israel went pretty well. It was a red eye so the girls slept for a good 7 hours.
When we arrived my husband's aunt was the one who was supposed to greet us by the gate- but instead it was my cousin and her husband. She came with balloons. I didn't expect to see her since you know- the girl NEVER returns or answers calls. She actually called me a few times before I flew out- but I never answered her calls- you know to get back at her (I feel very conniving like Alexis from Dynasty). But she managed to find out my flight info and came.
(btw- We received so many monetary gifts from family (for the girls births) that we did not use a dollar of our own money. To top it all off, my father-in-law gave us money to pay for our tickets- so the entire trip was free! Yeahy! What can be better than that?
I found this trip to be very difficult. I guess we're just not used to being with the girls 24 hours a day. It was just really hard. At first, Soleil cried all the time. When she sees an unfamiliar face, she freaks out. But that quickly needed to change- since there were way too many people to meet. And surprisingly, she became much more people friendly.
What was great, was that we had a whole apartment to ourselves. Two bedrooms- one for the girls with two cribs, and one bedroom for us. This was a apt in my husband's uncle's house. His sister and cousin usually share the apt, but cleared out for us. It was great. We arrived to signs on the door welcoming us, gifts on the table, and chocolates everywhere. My husband's family is amazing. They put my family to shame!
That night we went to visit my husband's father (who lives in the same farm- yes farm) and we introduced him to his granddaughters. He's not a warm guy- but he hugged them- which was nice.
Grandpa & The girls
Our first night was hard- the girls refused to sleep. They were awake from 12am-4am. They cried NON-STOP. Soleil's tummy hurt since the girl NEVER poops, so I gave her a suppository, she pooped- and finally went to sleep. (pictures to come- not of poo, but of her crying)
Day 2:
Was Sabbath, so we had breakfast with my husband's family and then headed out to my grandfather's house. My mom had arrived there the same day as us- on a different flight- so she was there and so was most of my family (my mother's 6 siblings and their extended families). Everyone saw the girls and it was pretty bitter-sweet. It was the first time I was at my grandparent's house since my grandmother's passing. Just being there made me sad. She would have been so insanely happy to meet her great-granddaughters.. she so wanted me to get pregnant. My grandfather cried as he held his first great grandchildren and said "Why wasn't she here to see this?". Of course that made me cry.
Great-Grandpa & The girls
Now you can just imagine what that did to my self confidence. Not great.
And what kills me- is that people know that I had twins a few months ago! I mean, do you think I am a celebrity- getting my pre preggo body back in shape in a jiffy? It's going to take time people! And your comments don't help. But you cant change a nation of tactless people. Because, lets face it- tact is what 90% of Israeli's lack (and I can say this since I am pretty much Israeli).
I mean, do I really need to explain to them that I had ivf- which blows you up in the first place, then was hospitalized for 6 weeks knowing that my girls might come early- and the bigger they are the better their chances were (which caused me to down daily milk shakes from burger k*ng since my heart burn was so bad I couldn't eat anything solid)... but WHATEV.. I digress...
I also do NOT like sand.
I don't like being hot.
So all these things together make me HATE the beach, but I knew that I needed to take my girls there- so I put my own feelings aside and went. They wore their first bathing suits and it was a nice photo op. The beaches in Israel are BEAUTIFUL.
Me & Soleil
My brother says Soleil looks like Carmen Miranda:
BTW- As I had mentioned in a previous post- my blogging BFF Heather sent my girls the cutest onesies ever that read "Do we look identical?"- love it. Anyway, I sent the website (where she purchased it from) a pic of the girls wearing the onesies and they posted it. Check it out. Thanks Heather for making my girls "Stahs"
11 comments:
You're so right about the tact. At my son's brit (my son who's a twin), someone came up to me and asked me if I was sure there wasn't another one still in there... Now, during the pregnancy I'd gained 40 lbs, but by the time I got home from the hospital, I had lost 32(!), so I was hardly huge... I really wanted to punch her.
And, by the way, I hate the beach too and I still can't bring myself to take my girls there.
How great that the girls did so well on the flight. Sounds like a warm welcome too.
Sorry about all of the comments.....it's amazing what people will say to you !!
Thanks for sharing some of the pics....can't wait to see more.
Sounds like an amazing trip! And hey, husbands can hear comments too. After putting on a few pounds I had someone ask, "Hey, who had the baby...Heather or you?
Well, I think you look beautiful. You're wonderfully photogenic. Glad you're all back safe and sounds.
I'm so glad your family got to meet the girls. I can't believe the comments people make!! That's crazy rude.
I posted that comment too soon! Anyway, I LOOOOVE Soleil's Carmen Miranda headwear! Too cute. And the girls look GREAT on that website. I am totally going to be their agent.
Oh wow...what a whirlwind! I'm so sorry that your family and friends made those terribly rude comments about you. You really are beautiful, and they should totally understand how hard it can be to lose weight after babies. You're doing great...try not to let their lack of tact get you down!
Your trip sounds like it was busy, busy, busy! Geez...I guess that is why people need vacations from their vacations, right? :-)
I am glad that the family got to meet the girls. I know you had a lot of fun "showing" them off. (couldn't think of a better way to put that. I hope you know what I mean there.) I can't believe the family's rude comments about your weight, either! I would be so mad if they had said those things to me. You must be made of steel to have kept your cool.
And the picture of the girls in their shirts is so cute. They're famous!
Welcome home!
I am glad you all made it back safe & sound.
It's incredible the things that come out of people's mouths. One of my favorites is "you look good......for having twins". I think you look great though :)
That's so sad about your grandfather and what he said...how much his heart was aching for her to be there. My mom makes comments every now and then on how she wishes Jack (my stepdad who passed away from cancer just after Daniel & I married) were here because he couldn't wait for us to have babies. I hate it that our loved ones can't all be here to see our precious girls but I have to believe they are watching over us.
Can't wait to see more pics!
Welcome home! Looks like you had a busy time, but I'm sure this will be a memorable trip for you with lots of "firsts".
Your girls are getting so big! I love the hairbands :) Too cute!
Firt of all, you look beautiful! Don't beat yourself up!
But I must say, that picture of your girls with their great grandfather brought tears to my eyes!
Post a Comment